For parents of young children, taking them to the dentist for the first time can be frightening both for the parents and the child. Helping them understand and prepare for the visit can help alleviate those fears. One way to prepare your child for their first dental visit is to read to them. Hearing what to expect and following a fictional journey is just the thing to create excitement about the visit. Here are 12 cute books to read to your child to get them ready.
- Brush, Brush, Brush, by Alicia Padron. A Scholastic toddler book with lots of photographs and illustrations.
- Brush Your Teeth, Please: A Pop-up Book by Jean Pidgeon. Cute animals learning how to brush and floss.
- Ready, Set, Brush by Che Rudko. Follow your favorite Sesame Street characters as they show kids how easy it is to care for their teeth.
- Going to the Dentist: A Toddler Pre Book, by Amy and Aaron Pittman. Explore what children will see, hear and experience at their first dental visit, with actual photos and simple-to-understand language.
- The Tooth Book, by Dr. Seuss. Even the littlest child is amused by Dr. Seuss’s rhyming take on all the things teeth can do and how to keep them in tip top shape. A Bright and Early Board Book ideal for ages 0-3.
- Dentist Trip, a Peppa Pig book by Scholastic. Peppa and George are going to the dentist for George’s first dental visit, but Peppa shows him how the trip can be fun. Includes dentist-themed stickers. Ages 2-3.
- Daniel Goes to the Dentist, by Alexandra Cassel Schwartz. Inspired by the classic series Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood and Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, follow along as Daniel visits the dentist for the first time. Ages 2-4.
- Sugarbug Doug: All About Cavities, Plaque and Teeth, by Dr. Ben Magleby. Watch out—sugarbugs can destroy your teeth and ruin your breath! This book is written and illustrated by a dentist to help children learn and apply healthy dental care principles and make their visits to the dentist fun. Ages 2-4.
- Just Going to the Dentist, by Mercer Mayer. Little Critter is going for a dental checkup in this heartwarming book. Ages 2-4.
- Curious George Visits the Dentist, by H.A. Rey. Uh oh, Curious George has just bitten into a wax apple and his tooth hurts and becomes wiggly. It’s time to go to the dentist for the first time. Ages 2-5.
- David’s First Visit to the Dentist, by Mathew Jensen. Should David be excited or scared of his first dental visit? Read about how he meets Dr. Linda and her assistant, Anna and realizes that a visit to the dentist can be fun.
- Samia and Her Electric Toothbrush, by Dr. Cymanthia Connell and Adam Ali. The main character, Samia, is based on a real-life YouTuber, a five-year-old girl who loves to brush her teeth with a pink electric toothbrush. Follow her healthy morning routine and the amazing day she took her toothbrush to school for show-and tell. Ages 5-11.
First Dental Visit—Pediatric Dentistry at Advanced Family Dentistry in Reston, VA
At Advanced Family Dentistry, we want to create a pleasant relationship between your child and the dentist—from your very first dental visit. As a family and pediatric dentist, we’ll help make your child comfortable so they’ll look forward to returning for their regular visits time and time again, and educate you on how to keep your children’s teeth healthy for a lifetime.
Advanced Family Dentistry is located in Reston, VA. Contact us to schedule your dental appointment.
Dr. Sonny Kim is a Diplomat of the International Congress of Oral Implantologists (ICOI), the highest education level for general dentists in this field.
Advanced Family Dentistry
Dr. Sonny Kim, DMD
11876 Sunrise Valley Dr., Suite 101
Reston, VA 20191